I love coffee (surprise, right?). I love the smell, the taste, the caffeine rush – but there’s another reason to love coffee: the beauty benefits!
This homemade coffee face mask I want to share with you guys is super effective and also a great way to recycle those used coffee grounds I seem to accumulate at an alarming rate. It’s also super simple to throw together since it uses only 3 ingredients, all of which can easily be found in most kitchens:
Used Coffee Grounds: Not only are the used coffee grounds in this mask great for exfoliating, but the caffeine in them has anti-inflammatory properties that help with reducing redness and boosting blood circulation – great for reducing puffiness and dark under eye circles and perking up tired skin. Coffee is also full of antioxidants, which add some anti-aging and detoxifying benefits to this mask.
Honey: Honey, which also comes packed with antioxidants, works great as an ultra-moisturizing agent thanks to its humectant properties, which draw moisture to the skin. Its antimicrobial properties make it a pretty great acne fighter as well.
Milk: Milk, while also moisturizing, contains lactic acid with gently exfoliates and cleanses skin while working to reduce the appearance of fine lines.
Quick Tip: It can get a little messy, so cover your clothing and be prepared to wipe down your sink when you’re done (I recommend washing the mask off in the shower to avoid too much mess).
- 2 tsps recently used coffee grounds (within an hour of brewing if possible)
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 tsp honey
- Start with clean, dry skin. I like to take a pinch of the used coffee grounds and mix it in with face cleanser in my hand and then apply to my face in circular motions (careful to avoid eye area) before rinsing and patting my face dry. This extra step ensures that I’m applying the mask to my freshest, newest skin and allowing the effects of the mask to last longer (cell turnover and all that). If you’re pressed for time, just doing this step alone will leave you with clean, fresh, glowing skin.
- Mix the used coffee grounds, milk, & honey in a small bowl together.
- Using finger tips, spread the mask evenly over face and neck, careful to avoid eye area (trust me you do not want to get any stray coffee grounds in your eye).
- Let the mask sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off using water and pat skin dry.
I do this mask 1-2 times a week and it always leaves my skin soft, smooth, and radiant. I also add a pinch of used coffee grounds from brewing my morning cup of coffee in with my morning face wash almost everyday and it always leaves me looking well-rested and ready to greet the day. If you decide to try this mask, or just adding a pinch of used coffee grounds to your morning face wash, please share in the comments how it works out for you; I’d love to hear from you! 😀