Fun little factoid about moi – I am lactose intolerant. Despite this, I still tend to indulge in creamer in my coffee and just live with the side effects. Recently, I decided to try getting away from that and so I set out to start getting dairy-free creamer, but the array of flavors was sadly lacking, so I decided to make my own. I figured “how hard can it be?”, get some non-dairy milk (coconut in this case), some pumpkin puree, and some pumpkin spice and throw it together. It ended up being a little more difficult than that, but through some trial and error I found a recipe that worked for me (I ended up needing some vanilla to add some warmth and tone-down the coconut flavor and some maple syrup for sweetness). I didn’t set out to make this creamer gluten-free, that was just a lucky break as I shopped for ingredients and decided to buy all gluten-free (because, why not?). The resulting creamer is a little sweet, but not nearly as overwhelming as some store bought Pumpkin Spice Creamers, with a really natural, warm fall-inspired Pumpkin Spice flavor that blends beautifully in coffee.
What You Need:
- 1 cup of coconut milk (So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut milk – organic, dairy-free, & gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons of pumpkin puree (Libby’s 100% Pure Organic Pumpkin – organic & gluten-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice (McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice)
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup (Full Circle 100% Maple Syrup – organic and gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract)
- Step 1: Add coconut milk, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, and vanilla extract all into small sauce pan.
- Step 2: Whisk ingredients together over medium heat on stove until mixture is evenly suspended (the pumpkin puree blends into the coconut milk surprisingly easy).
- Step 3: Heat until steam begins to rise from mixture.
- Step 4: Remove from burner and allow to cool.
- Step 5: Pour into container and refrigerate. Stays good for approx. 2 weeks 🙂
And there you have it! Super easy to make and much healthier than any of that store bought stuff – Enjoy! 😀 😀 😀