A few weeks ago I bought a bottle of 100% Organic Maple Syrup for the first time – and it was an eye-opening experience. I’d never had the real stuff before and I fell in love with the subtler sweetness, not as overpowering as the fake stuff I’ve been using, and the just all over more mellow, natural taste. It’s a little more expensive then the synthetic, artificially flavored stuff, which is probably why I’ve never tried it before now (I can be notoriously cheap sometimes) but I can now honestly say that I think it’s completely worth it. My first mind-blowing taste of simple, all natural maple syrup is what inspired the recipe I can’t wait to share with you guys today: Coffee & Maple Syrup Glazed Turkey Bacon.
I like turkey bacon for this recipe for a few reasons – mainly the texture and the fact that it doesn’t get greasy – but the recipe should work just as well with “real” bacon. The coffee gives the turkey bacon a bit of a smokey flavor, while the maple syrup provides a subtle sweet taste. In terms of how sweet it is – this glazed turkey bacon comes out tasting kind of like honey baked ham, so if you like that you’ll probably enjoy this as well. Because of it’s sweetness, I recommend pairing this coffee & maple syrup glazed turkey bacon with some simple scrambled eggs (a little dash of pepper on the eggs really brings out the flavor), and of course, a nice cup of coffee.
What You Need:
- 1 cup of strong brewed coffee (I like to use a medium roast)
- ½ cup of maple syrup
- 1 package of turkey bacon
- Step 1: Combine coffee and syrup together in a bowl, stirring well.
- Step 2: Heat griddle/skillet/frying pan on medium heat. (*note: my griddle is non-stick, but you may need to grease yours to make sure the bacon doesn’t stick)
- Step 3: Place a single layer of bacon on frying surface. Using a pastry brush, brush the coffee/syrup glaze on each strip of bacon individually, covering well.
- Step 4: Flip bacon over and apply glaze to the opposite side as well.
- Step 5: Fry the bacon, turning often, until you reach your desired level of crispness (I found 5 min each side worked well for me, but I like a very crispy bacon, so your milage may vary 😉 )
- Step 6: Place cooked bacon on a plate and serve!
And there you have it! The perfect blend of sweet and savory – super easy to make and really delicious to eat. Enjoy! 😀 😀 😀