Hey guys! So, a few weeks ago, I bought cake flour instead of all-purpose flour for the first time and decided I wanted to experiment with it a bit. I’ve been wanted to make some espresso chocolate chocolate chip cookies for awhile now, so that’s what I set out to do, except I substituted in cake flour instead of all-purpose flour. I noticed adding cake flour to the recipe gave the cookies a soft, dense, brownie-like texture to them, so that’s what I’m calling them: Espresso Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies. These cookies have a deep cocoa flavor to them reminiscent of dark chocolate and a subtle coffee taste that really enhances the cocoa flavor without overpowering it.
What You Need:
- 1 cup of cake flour
- 1/8 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons of instant espresso
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 375.
- Step 2: In a bowl, combine cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set bowl aside.
- Step 3: In a separate bowl, whip together butter and brown sugar until almost fluffy in texture, then add granulated sugar to the mix and whip again.
- Step 4: Add eggs and cocoa powder to Step 2 and blend well. Mix in instant espresso powder.
- Step 5: Little by little add flour mixture from Step 1 to cocoa/espresso blend from Step 4 – I like to add 1/4 of the flour mixture in at a time, mixing well after each addition, until all added.
- Step 6: Fold in chocolate chips.
- Step 7: Add rounded teaspoons of cookie dough to non-stick baking sheet, leaving about 1 1/2 to 2 inches between each cookie. Note: as you can probably see from the picture, when baked these cookies retain the same exact same shape they have when added to the cookie sheet, so don’t count on them spreading or evening out. What you put in, is what you get out ;).
- Step 8: Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes until firm to the touch when lightly pressed in the middle.
- Step 9: Allow to cool and enjoy! Makes 15-18 cookies.
And there you have it! I love these unique cookies; they’re super quick and easy to make & they go great with coffee. I hope you like them! 😀 😀 😀